Sunday, April 15, 2012

What have I been doing recently?

I have an upcoming medical appointment at Hershey's Feeding Clinic this week to address John's selective eating disorder.  I was told by an assistant that John's diet is considered to be a "white foods" diet.  This is typically what John eats:  Martin's potato bread (2 slices), diluted apple juice, Kellogg's Krave cereal (chocolate is his favorite color!), banana (but has to be just the right texture).  I figured that John liked foods of the yellowish spectrum.  What it boils down to is that John has preferences for specific colors and/or textures to satisfy his sensory disorder.  Now, John has not been officially diagnosed with either.  However, John can not stand to get a bath as the water "tickles".

I recently had John's school psychologist meet with him to review his skills for the kindergarten 2012-2013 school year.  She is pretty certain that John has auditory processing disorders.  They do go hand-in-hand with the sensory disorder.

I have met with John's pediatric neurologist twice as of now.  However, the only diagnoses that he can muster is: moderate receptive/expressive speech delay; globally developmentally delayed; and disruptive behavior disorder.

John has MUCH more going on than just what the pediatric neurologist has diagnosed him with.  I'm getting "cop-out" diagnoses.  In other words, he is not entirely sure what is going on with John.  Now, our media wants us, as parents, to seek out an early diagnosis for our children so that they can start getting the help that they need.  Come on!  I've been trying to get help since John was 18 months old and lost his speech!  My pediatrician said, "Wait until it's a problem."  At our 2 yr appointment, he said, "Wait until it's a problem."  Well, that's all it took for me!  I paid $700 out of pocket after 1 of 2 insurances paid for a speech evaluation/services.  I found out that he was approximately 1 year delayed on his speech.  At that time, I was directed to our local state agency that will send therapists to the home FOR FREE, regardless of the parent(s)' insurance situation and ability to pay.  We started with a speech therapist.  She saw a need for an occupational therapist.  She then saw a need for a special instructor as John's fine motor skills were not developed.  Gross motor skills are great!  We then had 3 people coming into our home 3 different days of the week.  We sat down and discussed his lack of social skills and agreed to move him into the agency's local preschool for children with special needs.  John was recently evaluated by the school psychologist as being almost above average in nonverbal, but below average in verbal skills.  It appears to her that he is equivalent to a child that has never attended preschool.  Nice.  He has been in preschool since he was 3 years old.  I was then told about the auditory processing disorder being a possibility.  I contacted our ENT and he was too young to evaluate.  I spoke to the lady that performed his hearing test and she agreed that he was too young and the fact that he is developmentally delayed means that we should probably wait until he is 7 years old to perform this test.  Nice.

I am hearing from society, as a parent, I need to pursue an early diagnosis for John.  HOW?!?  I feel that I have DONE EVERYTHING up til now!

I have to agree that he probably does have auditory processing disorder.  There is a LOT of fighting between John and his 3 yr old brother.  Jacob will NOT be quiet and his incessant talking drives John CRAZY!  John is completely addicted to video games due to the fact that it repeats.  He loves things that repeat.  However, he can NOT concentrate when people are talking within his vicinity.  When he gets in the car, he will complain that the radio is too loud.  It is not.  It is to HIM, though.  He also has problems with restaurants, etc. with the noise levels.  That is when he will have disruptive behavior.

Based on what I know, does it sound to me like he has autism?  Sure, it does.  However, there is such a difference of opinions on this subject and if my pediatric neurologist does not agree.......then I guess it's true, right?  John is not autistic?  It's funny, b/c as soon as I contacted the Hershey's Feeding Clinic, I was asked immediately if John was autistic. I told them that he had not yet been diagnosed and we shall leave it at that. It's always possible that John is just developmentally delayed. He has great eye contact and will communicate.....so folks discount autism as being a possibility. Ok, then tell me what it IS so that I can help my son!!!

I have John set up with his IEP for our local public school system. There are 13 categories that your child MUST fall into in order to receive specially designed instruction. He falls into speech (obviously) and learning disability (the psychologist thinks he has APD, remember?). I will meet with the IEP committee in a few weeks to discuss the exact plan for John's education.

There is SO MUCH that we can do for our children, but you have to remain actively involved in their lives and seek out education and medical assistance! I have had so many people ask me if John has a medical card. I still don't understand what that is about, but I have a funny feeling that I will find out soon enough. Just think....if I had been that parent that listened to my pediatrician and waited until it was a problem....think of where we would be NOW! John would be MUCH MORE DELAYED in SEVERAL aspects of his life! We saw his pediatrician in February 2012 and he watched John spinning around next to the wall and listened about John's selective eating.......he now thinks that John MIGHT BE AUTISTIC......BUT.....let's wait and see how he performs in the classroom first! REALLY?!? Let him fail first?! Luckily, I have pursued this YEARS before now and John is set up with an IEP to help him to transition into the classroom and be taught in a specific manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment